Main Content Area
Bachelor of Science (On Campus)
Family and Consumer Sciences Specialization
A Family and Consumer Science degree prepares you to strengthen lives of individuals and families through their life span. FCS teachers are competent in the foundational knowledge of family relationships, parenting-interpersonal relationships, consumer and resource management, and human/child development. In addition, the areas of nutrition and wellness, apparel and textiles, and living environments are included.
Consider a career in Family and Consumer Sciences if you:
- are interested in issues affecting families, consumers, and careers
- want to help individuals manage their personal, home, and work lives
- are a people-oriented person and want to help others succeed
- want diverse career options in education, business, and industry
- participated in related organizations such as FCCLA and 4-H
- want to make a difference in your professional and personal life
Course of Study
The Student Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (SAFCS) is the registered student organization on campus for students interested in career development and leadership opportunities within FCS areas. The national affiliate is the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS). The AAFCS is a scientific and educational organization with the purpose of improving the quality of life standards for individuals, families, and communities through education, research, legislation, cooperative programs, and public information. The Illinois Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (IAFCS) is the state affiliate of the national organization.
For further information about the Family and Consumer Science program, please contact Dr. Terre Eversden